Thursday, September 2, 2010

the horror of obamacare

Doctor Hal Scherz, a pediatric surgeon at Georgia Urology and Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, president and cofounder of Docs4PatientCare, wrote an article for the Wall Street Journal in which he quotes a letter that he and fellow doctors are showing in their waiting rooms. I reproduce a part of it here.
"Dear Patient: Section 1311 of the new health care legislation gives the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services and her appointees the power to establish care guidelines that your doctor must abide by or face penalties and fines. In making doctors answerable in the federal bureaucracy this bill effectively makes them government employees and means that you and your doctor are no longer in charge of your health care decisions. This new law politicizes medicine and in my opinion destroys the sanctity of the doctor-patient relationship that makes the American health care system the best in the world."
There is much more good stuff in the rest of the article- I highly recommend you read it!

Furthermore, I found another article on the Wall Street Journal whose headline reads "Employers Raise Workers' Share of Health Costs", and it made me remember a conversation I had with one of the district managers for the company I currently work for.

I had written this man an email about the shoddy health benefits that the company was offering to me, now that I've completed my 90 days evaluation period. In short, if I want medical coverage, I have to pay 6.5% to nearly 25% of my income. And that's ridiculous. After we talked it over a bit, he brought up Obamacare and the effect it will have on companies- I addressed that in a post here.

No comments: